Friday, August 1, 2008

The Irresistable Revolution

A couple of our students recently reccommended this book by Shane Claiborne to me. The Irresistable Revolution. They had loved it so much I just had to read it. As I started to read I knew that I did not fully agree with everything this man thought about theology and yada yada but was determined to keep an open mind.

I couldn't put this book down. What was really cool for me is I had no idea that he lived in Philly but I was reading it on our way to the Philly mission trip. (and part of the book sort of knocks mission trips but I get his point:) ). Anyway, this made me actually really strongly care about some things that I sort of always knew in the back of my mind but never took the time to really....I mean really care.

I realized that the american church can be crazy. It can spend way too much money on stuff and forget about it's brothers and sisters and Christ who are starving and dying. Christians are longing to feel God and to have an intimate experience with Him but we keep God at a safe distance. We don't talk to the unlovely, the homeless, the sinners (because we never sin right?), we do not see God the way we want to because we avoid the places where He is. We go to church and sit all complacent in our pews and listen to a good sermon, but we are not being Christ's hands and feet. We are consumers. I want to be consumed with Christ, and Christ would be out on the streets loving the unlovely...don't get me wrong He would still be spending time with the church folk because we resemble the tax collecter so much of the time more than anyone else. I am not saying church is bad(obviously since I am a pastor's wife)....I personally feel that I do experience God in a real in powerful way but that is because I am learning to let Him lead me into places that are not only the church, to let Him show me that a homeless person is human and may understand God better than I and may be able to teach me more than I could ever teach. I just simply realized that the church is pointless unless it's truly honoring God the way he calls us to.

I want to know where my stuff is coming from more than ever. I want to know if a child is being abused and slaving for nothing so that I can have the best clothing. I want to help and put a face to a cause...I want it to be personal when one of God's children is dying and I could help.

I want to do something....not to just accuse others of needing to change but to see my own need.

It is so easy to get trapped into a routine of church on Sunday and Wednesday....of waiting for those times to receive God. Who ever said church is there for us? We are there for Him....we exist to be the body of Christ...if we are not doing that then what is the point?

I thank God for sending this book my way...I have a new passion for God and for people. I would say a renewed passion because I have always loved people deeply but this is new...it's different...it's uncomfortable and amazing.

"The greatest cause of atheism is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, then walk out the door and deny him with their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world finds simply unbelievable" -Brennan Manning

I love this quote, not because any of us can or will wake up one day and not sin, but because it challenges me that in the midst of my imperfections, Christ's light should shine in my life through my love and grace for God's children. It challenges me to not be a complacent Christian.

No comments: